All the awesome people out there

This what I feel, sense, like. This is here. This is now.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

suspending light...

In many ways than one I always thought marriage is a disaster. The time just proves me right. When I happen to offer an opinion, I have more oppositions than could be counted on fingers. Exculpate me for going against the traditional belief that a nuptial is obligatory – something we owe to society. I do not say that those who want to get married (I know girls desperate to tie a knot) are attempting an incessant crime, but nonetheless, I have been given freedom to lead my life as I desire. And I, to say the truth, deny blemishing my life and freedom for someone else. I have seen many people around me getting a connubial bliss even without knowing their partners for more than one university term.

I have seen Indian ready to spend their life with a person who lives in one of those first world countries. They don’t even have tête-à-tête with their sweetheart twice before making ‘the decision’. If the situation in India was as bad as Vietnam or if we lived in an autocratic country, then I wouldn’t be amazed on their pronouncement. However, today India stands as one of the global leaders and I see no need for any girl in modern Mumbai, I stress on the word “modern”, to commit to someone ajar to them.

“Who cares about the global economy,” one of my cousins declared, “all I want is to go to United States.”

“Even if you donno the guy properly?” I was little surprised by that statement.

“Even if I donno the guy properly,” she said assertively, “why do you care? I don’t want to make big out here… and if I have to it will be there.”

Did I really care about her? Nope. I just couldn’t digest the fact that she had just seen her fiancé once before engagement. I was still a little jittery, when finally I blathered (of course to her), “but you hardly know him…”

“Oh you!” she seemed a little goaded with annoyance, “haven’t you heard something called Internet? I-N-T-E-R-N-E-T? That’s how you spell it right? Besides, his parents stay in India, very much in INdia.”

I thought it was better I ceased my banter as it had reached its pinnacle, and who likes to get indignant?

She still had a point to get married, I thought, but what about those who are coerced into this?

One of my friends got into a conjugal bond in December. I enjoyed his wedding thoroughly – no two ways about it. I tapped my feet; my first Christen wedding…yeah…everyone was enjoying seemed happy – but the groom and the bride. What about them? (I know they weren’t happy through internal source.) Besides, my friend, who also happened to be the groom (nope, not the bride, I am a straight girl you see) was excessively jovial and I just don’t mean stupidity, but what I consider a true sense of humor, got married to a grim girl. What a stupid pair!
Aren’t these sufficient to discern me from something that is called, “M-A-R-R-I-A-G-E”.

No comments: